TIFF is here! To celebrate this year’s films and festival SZN, we teamed up with holistic living superstar Genevieve Kang to develop a turmeric-inspired Golden Popcorn recipe.
Inspired by the nutritional benefits of turmeric, cinnamon and ginger this popcorn is the perfect at-home or sneak-in-your-bag snack for a lighter approach to movie theatre popcorn.
Let’s get poppin.
Our Superfood Superstars
- Nutritional Yeast = Rich in B vitamins; bonus: cheese-y flavour!
- Turmeric = Potent anti-inflammatory + ginger
- Cinnamon = Blood sugar balancing, warming spice
- Ginger = Anti-inflammatory, digestive aid, warming spice
- Cardamom = Digestive aid, warming spice
- Black pepper = Increases bio-availability of turmeric (increases health benefits of turmeric)
- Coconut = Healthy fats nourish cell function, stabilize blood sugar + mood
What You Need
- 2 tbsp. + 1/4 c. virgin coconut oil
- 1 c. organic popcorn kernels
- 1/3 c. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 c. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- 1 c. toasted coconut flakes
Before we begin, press play on this:
- Dance a little bit.
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Once melted, add the corn kernels, cover tightly, and shake the pan until all kernels pop. Be mindful to keep the popcorn moving to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat when the popping slows.
- In a separate small saucepan combine the rest of the coconut oil and maple syrup over gentle heat.
- When melted, toss well with the popcorn.
- Season with salt, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Add toasted coconut and mix to combine well.
- You’re done!
Thank you again to Genevieve Kang of @kikanblvd for creating this absolutely delicious and good-for-you recipe. If you’re looking for more tips on holistic living + wellness inspiration, be sure to follow her on Instagram. And definitely check her out at Artscape Wychwood Barns, where she’s hosting Equinox, a Mindful Eating Dinner Event, sponsored by Lee’s Provisions. Tickets available here.